Wednesday, April 23, 2014

It's (Softly) Electric!

With Urban Decay's newest palette released in March, many people took a break from the nudes and looked to add a little 'tude with The Electric Palette. Ten bold, bright shades from a company that had perfected the nude look three times over, this shook up things a little, and is now the perfect way to add a little POP of color to your face. When you see this in person it's rather intimidating, especially if you tend to lean towards softer, more natural shadow colors. I've been playing around with it and have come up with some looks to help ease you in to adding more bold colors to your look.

First, the palette comes in a gorgeously colored black plastic case, with puffs of neon color all over the top. It comes with a dual sided brush and large mirror on the inside cover. It's sturdy and well made with a hitch in the hinge so it will stay closed while traveling. The ten shadows inside are INSANE and this has been the hardest product to photograph so I highly encourage you to take a look at it in person if you have the chance. I took three separate photographs (after changing the lighting a little) to try and capture the shadows in their true color but still don't think it's 100% accurate.

*The palette has three types of finishes-shimmer, matte, and satin. Four of the colors (Slowburn, Savage, Jilted, and Urban) do carry a warning against using around the immediate eye area because of the ingredients in these particular colors, but this is mostly if you have sensitive lids. I've used all of the shades on my eye area and the only issue I had was a little staining from Slowburn so make sure you use a primer-plus the colors look better and will last longer with one. I would recommend trying them out on a day you're at home, just to make sure you don't have a reaction.




Awesome, right?! The top row has Revolt (solidly silver), Gonzo (a beautiful cerulean blue), Slowburn (bright tangerine), Savage (neon pink), and Fringe (teal).
The bottom row is Chaos (true navy), Jilted (purple with a tinge of pink to it), Urban (purple, all the way), Freak (a limey sea foam green) and Thrash (bright yellow green). I think my two favorites are Gonzo and Freak!

Now that you've seen them, how do you wear them? I've seen many bright rainbow eye tutorials and while those are great, sometimes we need to dip our toe in before we jump in. I picked up my Naked 2 palette to help soften these colors a little and make them more wearable for the office.






First I used a good primer, patted all over my lid and up to right under my eyebrow followed by Foxy.


I took Bootycall and patted that right under my eyebrow to lift the area, and Half Baked for the rest of my eyelid. 


 I took a little bit of Tease into my outer V, and Snakebite all over the lid.



I dabbed Chaos in my inner corner and blended out slightly, then took Urban and packed it on from the outside in, I didn't want to do too much blending at this point until I had the colored laid out so I could clearly see how far in they went over Suspect. Once I got Urban and Chaos where I liked them, I used Suspect and blended outward over Urban and Chaos. Now, you can go back in with the color if you want to make them a little bolder, blending them out each time is crucial, but I liked the look and just finished it up with eyeliner and mascara.




No comments:

Post a Comment