Saturday, March 15, 2014

Smooth and Silky Part 2

Now that you've exfoliated your legs and they're prepped for a nice close shave, you have to think about what you'll use as a barrier. Dry shaving isn't a great idea, it can leave you with dry patches and more prone to nicks. There are some great products out there, some specifically for shaving, and others you may not have thought of.

I used a foaming shaving cream for years and there are a lot of affordable options on the market, but in the last few years I've started using clear and more moisturizing products. I've used coconut and olive oil-both are great for keeping my skin hydrated and, since they're clear, I can see better where I'm shaving-this is especially great for ankles and knees. Most people have one or both in their kitchen so its great in a pinch if you run out of your favorite shaving product.

I've also tried men's products such as Jack Black's Beard Lube ( 3 oz for $11, 6 oz for $17, 16 oz for $33 Sephora.com ) which is a white lotion that has pre-shave oil, shave cream and skin conditioner in one product. My husband and I both can use this product and while it is pricier than the foaming shaving gel at the drugstore, a little goes a long way. Beard Lube has macadamia nut and jojoba oil to soothe skin and helps prevent razor burn
Another men's product I use is The Body Shop's For Men Maca Root Shave Cream (6.3 oz for $16 thebodyshop.com) which has aloe to soothe the skin as you shave. It's similar to the Jack Black stuff but this one "lifts" the hairs, so you can get every last pesky bit of stubble. The biggest pro I've found in men's products is that they have special ingredients that "prepare" the hair to be shaved, either by softening or standing up the hairs which has help ease the amount of razor burn I get.

The Body Shop's Beautifying Oil (3.3 oz for $14 thebodyshop.com) is a group of nut oils, including cold-pressed marula oil, which comes in a multitude of scents and can also be used as a body and hair moisturizer. I like to use this when I'm outside of the shower and need a touch up before going out-I use it to shave and can use a washcloth to wipe off the excess and hair after shaving and I'm ready to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment