Friday, March 14, 2014

Smooth and Silky Part 1

It's almost that time again-the time where shorts and skirts mean you have to shave those stems! After keeping mine under wraps I like to do some DIY prep and pamper to get my legs warm weather ready.
In this post I'm going to show you the sugar scrub paste and polish that I make and use to buff away dead skin and moisturize at the same time. Exfoliating before shaving ensures a closer shave which can buy you more time in between shaves and keeps your skin from looking dull. You can use this all over your body or just on your legs.
To start, gather your items-most of which you probably already have in your kitchen and bathroom.

The key thing to remember is that making this scrub is flexible and you can tailor the recipe to you.


 I'm making two products today, a paste scrub and a body polish. I'll start with the paste scrub-I like to use a triple moisture cream (or body butter), a body wash in the same or similar scent, granulated sugar, coconut oil and vitamin E.





































The scrub paste is thicker and grittier which makes it great to really exfoliate and get your circulation moving. I use this when it's been a while since I've given my skin a good scrub.
I start with about 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup lotion, mix it up really well and get all those sugar granules coated, it'll be pretty dense. Then I add about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/2 tablespoon of body wash, and 1 teaspoon of vitamin E.
























 Here is the finished sugar scrub paste! I recommend using a wide mouth container to store it so its easier to get product out. I find that this keeps for about 2-3 weeks though this batch may last you 3 or so uses if you do your entire body, more if you just exfoliate your legs.

 
The sugar polish is more for a daily or bi-daily use, it is thinner than the paste and has a more 1 to 1 ratio with the body wash. I use 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of body wash, in this case Nivea's Touch of Sparkle body wash with cream oil, and then add the vitamin E and coconut oil (same amount as above). It'll be much more soupy than the paste and pours into your container easily.



Here's a picture, side by side, so you can see the difference in texture and consistency.


3 comments:

  1. Adding these to my recipe book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! This rocks! Must.try.this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheap and easy! I've spent a TON of money on scrubs and then feel bad when I use it too quickly.

    ReplyDelete