Tuesday, February 18, 2014

How 'Bout Them Apples? Review

I picked up theBalm's newest palette for cheeks and lips when they had their 50% off and I'm liking what I've seen so far. If you like cream blushes or lip gloss type stains I'd encourage you also to take a look at this $32 palette that you can get at www.thebalm.com.

The six shades come housed in a magnetic enclosed case with a giant mirror on the top.
While the outside has this artwork of the girl and adorable pug, opening up the inside reveals a totally different story....

 ...six hunky men wearing jeans and not much else. But don't let this distract you from the beautiful colors of the creams.

 Cider is a peachy neutral
Cobbler is a deep berry blue red


Pie is cool slightly pink coral
Crisp is an orange with flecks of gold-this is the only color with noticeable glitter


















Candy is a, well, candy pink
Caramel is a mauvey brown























This is what the colors look like when I use them thickly on my lips but you can sheer it out for a subtler look or combine different colors to create your own unique color.

Here are swatches of each color, left to right:
Cider, Cobbler, Pie, Crisp, Candy, and Caramel















Here are all six blended out (L-R:Cider, Cobbler, Pie, Crisp, Candy, and Caramel)-Cider is there on the left, just hard to see. On fairer skin tones this would be great for a no makeup makeup look but on darker skin tones you may just have to use it as a lip stain rather than on cheeks.
These creams definitely have a staining effect help them last throughout the day-cheeks last longer than my lips did, though even after eating and drinking my morning coffee I could see a bit of color. I don't find them terribly moisturizing on my lips so recommend also using your regular lip balm.
The creamy texture melts as soon as your finger tip hits them so they don't take a lot of work to use and they blend rather well with a small window before they set. They have a sheer build up so you can customize your concentration of color. This palette has 6 great colors that are gorgeous on their own but also allow a bit of creative room to blend your own.

Have you tried How 'Bout Them Apples? What are your thoughts on cream lip and cheek stains?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. theBalm certainly has adorable packaging! Have you tried anything else from them?

      Delete
  2. I still have yet to try cream blushes. Something about them just makes me feel I'll end up looking like a clown....

    Alas, I'm on a no-makeup buy for at least a month...or you know until I decide which palette I want next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided them for a long time too but they work so much better in the heat. I've found the best way to apply the creams is with a duo fiber stippling brush, it doesn't pick up too much product so I can build up the color to just the right point-before it hits the clown look.
      Good luck with your no buy month! I'm terrible at them-i write down all the things I see that I want and then end up breaking down and buying way to much :/

      Delete