Friday, March 28, 2014

Review: Was It TruMagic?

Covergirl came out with a new line called truMagic that has a bronzer, luminizer, and primer ($12 for .27 oz). I was intrigued by the solid primer so I picked one up to give it a go. 
Was it really "true magic"? Read on to find out.


When the first buzz about this solid silicone based primer started, I heard some speculation that it could be a dupe for the Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Defender($40), which blurs imperfections, keeps shine at bay, and keeps makeup from looking cakey from touch-ups. Covergirl claims theirs offers matte perfection with a smooth, soft finish that will control shine, be non-greasy, and won't clog pores. You should be able to use this like pressed powder and do touch-ups throughout the day, as a regular primer under your makeup, or wear it alone.


I wasn't off to a great start with this. I used the accompanying sponge and put a huge dent right in the middle-it truly is a soft touch balm, as in be gentle! I also found that the sponge put too much product on, it felt too thick and while soft, I didn't enjoy the sensation of it alone on my skin. After putting my foundation on, and using my fingers to smooth things out, I felt a little better. It didn't keep my shine at bay for very long and I did have to do a touch up mid morning. I didn't like it anymore as a touch-up product, it just felt heavy again over my makeup.


I pulled it out again the next day and decided to give it another go, but without using the sponge. I just used my fingers to pick up product and then warmed it a little between my fingers before putting it on my face as my primer. The warmth seems to have done the trick, giving me sheerer coverage so I didn't have that heavy, thick feeling. I used a powder to set my face and for touch-ups, which I still had to do mid morning.
So, what about the other claims-that it will blur imperfections and the smooth soft finish? For these two it hit the nail on the head. I have larger pores and it did a good job of blurring them on my cheeks and reduced the ones on my nose. I don't have many fine lines but I have a few under my eyes and it filled them in rather well.
This may do better on more combination/dry skin, I may be too oily for it to really hold up. I will use this one up, but don't think this will be a repurchase as there are other primers that do a better job at keeping my oily skin matte, blur imperfections, and don' t have the problem with heaviness.

Have you tried Covergirl's truMagic primer or another solid primer?

No comments:

Post a Comment